Blueberry Crumb Cake
I found this recipe while flipping through Nick Malgieri’s Perfect Cakes. He prefaces it by saying that he makes this cake about half a dozen times every summer. Knowing how much I have liked his recipes in the past, I did not hesitate to turn on the oven and get to baking.
Like most of my favorite summer recipes, this is a quick and simple cake to make. For the sake of convenience (and because of the state of my local produce), I used frozen blueberries.
One of the variations suggested is to substitute sour cherries for the blueberries. Quinn has quite an affinity for sour cherries, so I’m definitely on the look-out for some to top off this cake.
Blueberry Crumb Cake
Yield: 20-24 servings
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups blueberries
For the crumb topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9″x 13″baking pan with foil and butter the foil.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a heavy-duty mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until soft and light (about 5 minutes). Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- On low speed, add half the flour mixture and mix well. Add yolks, mixing well, then add remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Smooth the top. Scatter blueberries over the batter.
To make the crumb topping:
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in melted butter and combine with your fingers until the mixture is coarse crumbs. Scatter the crumbs evenly over the berries.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake is firm. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Perfect Cakes.