Irish Cream Brownies
The hardest part about holiday baking is deciding what to make. It’s not that I can’t find recipes. It’s that I find too many recipes. I spend far too much time deliberating the virtues of each one when I could be in the kitchen happily baking. When I found this recipe, however, I had no choice but to make them. Irish Cream? Brownies? Are you kidding?
The Irish Cream is incorporated by mixing it with cream cheese. (They just get better and better, don’t they?) This mixture sits beautifully between two chocolate layers. You can swirl the layers together, but I thought I would like the look of the distinct layers better. It reminds me of those famous New York black and white cookies that I’ve never gotten around to making myself.
One thing that bothers me about most brownie recipes is that you put in all the work for an 8- or 9-inch square pan’s worth of brownies. Not this one. Get out that 9″ x 13″. You’ll have plenty to keep and to share for the holidays. I do recommend cutting them small. They are rich enough that a small bite is plenty!
Irish Cream Brownies
Yield: 24 brownies
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
Rich brownies surround a sweet layer of cream cheese flavored with Irish Cream in these Irish Cream Brownies.
For the brownies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur
To make the brownies:
- Place the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13″× 9″x 2″ baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly coat with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat the sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until lightened and fluffy (approximately 4 minutes).
- Add the flour and salt gradually. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
To make the filling:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg and liqueur, and beat until smooth.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the pan. Spread all of the cream cheese filling over the chocolate layer.
- Pour the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer and smooth. If desired, swirl the layers together with a knife for a marbled effect.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely before cutting.
Recipe slightly adapted from a clipped recipe in my collection. I’m afraid I don’t know the original source.