Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars are just the thing when you want an easy-to-make dessert that’s sure to please. Top with your favorite sprinkles for birthdays, holidays, and more!
We all love sugar cookies, right? Their simplicity is what appeals to me. I love that a simple combination of ingredients can give you such a great dessert. That’s baking science at its finest!
These Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars take that simplicity even further by changing them from cookies to bars. Instead of doling out individual cookies, the dough is spread in a pan, baked, and then frosted with an equally simple frosting. You get to skip the cookie scooping in favor of a single pan of sugar cookie deliciousness.
You can bet that these bars are a major crowd favorite. They’re just so tasty and so happy! This is a great recipe to keep in mind when you need an easy, crowd-pleasing dessert for a casual gathering. Cut them bigger or smaller, in squares, bars, or triangles.
You’ll notice as you spread the dough in the pan, that these are thin bars. I prefer keeping these thin with a thin layer of frosting. Otherwise, I find that they’re a little too sweet for my liking. That’s not to say that they aren’t plenty sweet just like this. But feel free to dial up the amount of frosting if you’d like a sweeter twist on them.
While you can certainly leave the frosted bars unadorned, I like to top them with sprinkles for a little fun. (The ones in these photos are Bright Skies from Sweetapolita.) You can change the colors and combination of sprinkles for different occasions, whether it be a holiday, a seasonal celebration, a birthday, or just because. In fact, these beauties are so good that I bet you’ll find plenty of excuses to make them!
More Cookie Bar Recipes
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
Yield: 24 2-inch bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars are just the thing when you need a sure crowd-pleaser!
For the cookie bars:
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 2 & 1/2 cups (275g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkles, for garnish
To make the cookie bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x 13″ baking pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. (Batter will be thin in the pan.) Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges are browned and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the sugar and flour until thoroughly combined. Add 3 tablespoons cream and the vanilla. Continue beating, adding more cream a small amount at a time, until the frosting is the desired consistency.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled bars. If desired, garnish with sprinkles.