Apricot Almond Oat Bars
Apricot Almond Oat Bars offer amazing flavor in a quick and easy treat. What a great crowd-pleaser!
While I do love so many traditional sweet flavor combinations, it’s fun to go off the beaten path now and then with some flavor pairs that aren’t as frequently represented here on BoB. In the case of these bars, that’s apricot and almond.
The two flavors go together so very well. They’re so sweet and nutty and just plain delicious. I first tried this flavor combo in a single-layer cake that remains one of my all-time favorites. I’m very excited to share another recipe with you that features these two flavors!
To keep things simple, the apricot portion of these bars comes in the form of preserves, which are one of my favorite baking ingredients. This is a big pan of bars, so you’ll need a lot of preserves. But don’t worry if your stash of preserves leaves you a little shy for the total amount in the recipe.
Almonds are thoroughly represented here, too. The crust and topping of these bars is made with almond meal. While almond meal is something I usually keep on-hand, you can substitute almond flour or take a minute or two to grind up almonds to make your own.
In addition to the almond meal, there is a bit of almond extract in the crust and topping for even more almond flavor. Once assembled, a sprinkling of sliced almonds on top rounds out the big almond taste.
I can’t impress upon you enough how wonderful this flavor combination is. It’s really just delightful. The sweetness of the apricots combined with the nuttiness of the almonds is perfection. And they’re so wonderfully crunchy and gooey, too. All that wrapped up in a simple to make treat? Oh, yeah.
More Oat Bar Recipes
Apricot Almond Oat Bars
Yield: 24 2-inch bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 & 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal (or almond flour or ground almonds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 & 1/4 cups apricot preserves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9"x 13"x 2" baking pan.
- Combine the oats, flour, sugar, almond meal, salt, and almond extract. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture forms loose crumbs. The mixture should hold together when pinched.
- Set aside about 1 cup to use for the topping.
- Press the remaining oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the preserves over the top of the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top of the preserves. Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top. Press down lightly.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool in the pan before cutting into bars.