Chocolate Caramel Pudding Bars
If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll know that Krusteaz recently sent me some of their new Molten Deep Dish Cookies mixes to try. While you can certainly make them exactly as they were designed, I couldn’t help but try an augmented version.
Each mix has a couple of recipe variations printed on the box. I decided to make a variation of the Seattle Bars recipe using the chocolate cookie mix with caramel filling. I’m not familiar with Seattle Bars, and a quick search didn’t really give me much. After changing a couple of things, I opted to call these by another name.
No matter what you call them, these bars are a wonderful, cool, chocolate treat. There’s a chocolate graham cracker crust, a layer of caramel, chocolate pudding, and lots of chopped pecans.
These bars remind me a bit of Chocolate Delight, a dessert I remember from my years living in the South. It featured a crust topped off with chocolate pudding and a whipped cream topping. There’s no whipped cream here, caramel is thrown into the mix, and the crust is a bit different, but the general idea is pretty close.
For those of you paying attention, you’ll likely also remember that Krusteaz is going to send one Bake or Break reader one of each of these new mixes. If you’ve not yet entered, find out how to enter by clicking here.
If these mixes aren’t available in your local stores just yet, then you can still make these bars. First, you’ll need a crust. I recommend either this graham cracker crust or a double batch of this chocolate crust. Then, after you’ve baked that, top it off with about 1/2 cup of store-bought caramel sauce. Then, chocolate pudding, either from a mix or your favorite recipe. Top it all off with chopped pecans. Add some coconut or peanut butter chips or chocolate chips or whatever else you’d like.
Chocolate-Caramel Pudding Bars
Yield: 24 2-inch bars
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:14 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 pouch cookie mix from Krusteaz Molten Deep Dish Chocolate Cookie Mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
For the topping:
- 1 pouch caramel from Krusteaz Molten Deep Dish Chocolate Cookie Mix
- 2 cups prepared chocolate pudding
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9″x 13″ baking pan.
- Place cookie mix, graham cracker crumbs, butter, and egg. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until well-combined.
- Press crust mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 14 minutes. Set pan on wire rack to cool completely.
To make the topping:
- After crust has cooled, spread caramel over crust. Top with pudding and spread evenly. Sprinkle nuts over the pudding.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Krusteaz.
Disclosure: Krusteaz provided samples of their mixes for me to try, as well as providing the giveaway products. All opinions are my own.