Brown Butter Skillet Blondie
This quick and easy Brown Butter Skillet Blondie uses just one skillet for browning the butter, mixing the batter, and baking! Such a fun treat!
My love of brown butter is well documented here at BoB. It’s such a simple way to add wonderful, rich flavor! And it’s super simple to do that with this Brown Butter Skillet Blondie.
This quick and easy dessert mixes all in the skillet. Use the skillet to brown the butter, and then just keep mixing everything in the skillet. (No mixer required!) Then into the oven it goes!
Add the brown sugar to the butter while it’s still hot to create a melty, caramel-like mixture. After that, you’ll need to let it cool for a bit before you start adding the other ingredients. There’s not a lot of extra room in there, so be a little gentle when mixing so you don’t make a mess.
This is one of those recipes that’s infinitely adaptable. You can use whatever add-ins you like. I most often reach for some chocolate chips and nuts for a classic flavor combination. But it’s so easy to add whatever you’re craving or even those ingredients odds and ends in your pantry. And I can’t resist a little sprinkling of coarse salt over the top for a salty bite.
Serve this blondie unadorned for a simple sweet treat. Or top slices of it with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel or chocolate for an all-out dessert experience. Or just grab some spoons and let everyone dig in!
More Skillet Dessert Recipes
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Brown Butter Skillet Blondie
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
You only need a skillet and a spoon to mix and bake this quick and easy Brown Butter Skillet Blondie!
- 10 tablespoons (141g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped nuts
- coarse salt, optional
- ice cream, for serving
- caramel sauce or chocolate sauce, for serving
- Place the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and begins to foam.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until brown specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan and the butter has a nutty aroma.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the brown sugar, and stir until combined. Allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the cooled butter mixture, and stir until combined.
- Add the flour, baking power, and salt, and mix just until combined. (Add the flour in portions and stir gently to prevent a mess.)
- Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Spread the batter evenly in the pan. If desired, sprinkle the top with a pinch or two of coarse salt.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the blondie is golden brown and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Be sure not to over-bake.)
- Serve warm with ice cream and caramel or chocolate sauce, if desired.
If you prefer, you can transfer the brown butter to a mixing bowl and mix the batter in that bowl. Then just transfer the mixed batter to the skillet and bake.