Outrageous chocolate cookies are rich, fudgy, brownie-like cookies that keep their focus squarely on providing a full-on chocolate experience. Easy to make and so delicious!
I can’t say enough good things about these outrageous chocolate cookies. As you can guess from the name, they are incredibly rich and delicious, perfect for serious chocolate fan. The brownie-batter-like dough bakes into fudgy cookies with a crackled exterior and irresistible chocolate flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Outrageous Chocolate Cookie Recipe
- Supremely decadent. Cookies aren’t always super rich, but these outrageous chocolate cookies are definitely an exception. They’re perfect for when you need a serious chocolate fix!
- Easy to make. These outrageous chocolate cookies are more like making brownies since they begin with melting the chocolate and butter together. And just like brownies, they’re a cinch!
- Something different. The crackly outside and fudgy middles of these cookies make them stand out from other chocolate cookie recipes. They’re sure to impress!
What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card to find the ingredient quantities and recipe instructions.
- Semisweet chocolate – Roughly chop this from a bar. Learn more: Types of Chocolate: A Home Baker’s Guide.
- Unsalted butter – Here’s the difference between unsalted butter vs. salted butter.
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to measure by weight or spoon and sweep the flour into your measuring cup. Learn more: How to Measure Flour.
- Baking powder
- Light brown sugar – Light brown sugar has a milder flavor than dark brown sugar, which has a higher molasses content. Read more: Light Brown Sugar vs Dark Brown Sugar: What’s the Difference?
- Vanilla extract – High-quality store-bought or homemade vanilla extract.
- Semisweet chocolate chunks
Should Eggs Be Cold or Room Temperature for Baking?
For these outrageous chocolate cookies and most other baking recipes, room temperature eggs are your best bet. Room temperature eggs incorporate more easily into the batter, resulting in a smoother, more even texture.
How to Make Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
- Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate. Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at half-power in 30-second increments until the mixture is almost melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a third bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Finish the dough. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture, followed by the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Form the cookies. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared pans, leaving 2-3 inches between the cookies. (A #50 scoop is a good size for these cookies.) Bake one pan at a time for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies are shiny and crackly, but soft in the center.
- Cool. Let the outrageous chocolate cookies cool on the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then, transfer the cookies from the pan directly onto the rack to finish cooling. (Learn more: Why Every Baker Needs Wire Cooling Racks)
Tips for Success
- Chill if needed. Some readers say they have the best results chilling the dough briefly before baking. About half an hour of chilling time can be help the cookies keep their shape.
- Use good-quality chocolate. The quality of your ingredients will make a big difference in the flavor and texture of these outrageous chocolate cookies. Choose a good semisweet chocolate for best results.
- Don’t reuse hot sheets. If you have to reuse baking sheets for this recipe, you’ll need to let them cool completely before making the next batch. Adding cookie dough to hot pans can cause spreading and over-baked bottoms.
- Don’t over–bake. These cookies should be shiny and crackly on the outside but still soft and fudgy on the inside. Be sure to take them out of the oven before they are too firm.
- Add nuts. Added chopped walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts to the outrageous chocolate cookie dough instead of the chocolate chunks, or replacing some of the chunks with nuts.
- Try different types of chocolate. Try milk or white chocolate chunks instead of the semisweet chocolate chunks.
- Make them gluten-free. Swap out the all-purpose flour for your favorite measure-for-measure gluten-free blend to make these cookies gluten-free.
How to Store
To keep these outrageous chocolate cookies fresh, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze outrageous chocolate cookies for up to 3 months. Simply place them in a freezer-safe container or bag and let them thaw at room temperature when ready to enjoy. Alternatively, you can also reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds before eating.
More Chocolate Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Blackout Cookies
- Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Salted Double Chocolate Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Cookies with Marshmallow Glaze
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies