Corn Flake Oatmeal Cookies
A few times every year, I get hit with an overwhelming urge to do some serious sorting, organizing, and purging of as many things as possible. Inevitably, I have to make some tough calls on some items. And one of the hardest things to thin out is my cookbook collection.
I have so many, and it seems I’m always adding more. But, believe me, a small New York apartment will make you a little more aggressive in your culling. I can never seem to get rid of community cookbooks, though. You know, the cookbooks put together by different organizations for charity or fundraising. The way I see it, people contribute their very best recipes to those books. They are a treasure trove of delicious food!
During one of my recent organizing stints, I made a stack of all of my community cookbooks and set out to try to pick out a few to keep. Not surprisingly, I kept every single one of them. And I rediscovered the recipe for these cookies!
These cookies start out much like any vanilla cookie – sugar, butter, vanilla. But then corn flakes, oats, and pecans get added to the dough, and they become something irresistible! The cookie itself is wonderfully soft. The oats make them a bit chewy. The texture of the corn flakes changes a bit as the cookies bake, but they still maintain a lot of their crunch. And the nuts provide even more crunch. All of that means you have a cookie that’s soft and chewy and crunchy all at the same time!
A cursory glance at a plate of these cookies may not stir much excitement. They’re quite beige, aren’t they? But a single bite of one of them will have you reaching for more. This is a great cookie alternative when you’re looking for something a bit different. Just be sure to save a few for yourself before you serve them. They usually don’t last long!
Corn Flake Oatmeal Cookies
Yield: about 48 cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes per pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or other nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed*, combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Fold in the corn flakes, oats, and pecans.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared pans. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on the pans for 10 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to continue cooling.