Triple Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins
For me, citrus was an acquired taste. For many years, I was just never a big fan of it. But once I did finally embrace it, I was all in! And these Triple Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins are a lovely celebration of sweet, tart citrus.
Classic lemon poppy seed muffins are always a favorite, but I decided to take things just a little further with not just lemon but also lime and orange. The blend of those three citrus flavors is fantastic without being overwhelming.
Of course, the little bit of crunch and nutty flavor from the poppy seeds make these muffins even more tasty. Plus, they just look really pretty, don’t they?
A quick glance at the ingredients list may lead you to think that it looks like a lot for a batch of muffins. But a good bit of that is the citrus. You’ll need both zest and juice from a lemon, lime, and half of an orange. I very highly recommend using a Microplane for zesting. It makes quick work of zesting, plus it has so many other uses that it’s one of my favorite kitchen tools.
I have said on more than one occasion that I like my muffins to be a little less sweet than today’s standard coffee shop muffins. I kept to that thinking with these muffins, but I did add a sweet glaze, which is something I very rarely do. I really love the pleasant sweetness that it adds to the muffins. Plus, it dresses them up just a bit. If you prefer to dial back the sweetness, then these muffins are perfectly lovely without the glaze.
Triple Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins
Yield: 12 standard-sized muffins
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
Lemon, lime, and orange give these sweet muffins plenty of citrus flavor.
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- zest of 1 medium lime
- zest of 1/2 medium orange
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- juice of 1 medium lime
- juice of 1/2 medium orange
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 tablespoons milk
To make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or line 12 standard muffin cups.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and the three zests. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter, milk, eggs, and three juices. Add to the flour mixture. Stir together, mixing just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full (using about 3 tablespoons of batter per cup).
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the edges are browned and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze:
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk until thoroughly combined. If necessary, add more milk until the glaze is the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins.
The amount of glaze is just enough to top the muffins as you see in the above photos. If you prefer more glaze, then simply increase the recipe by half or double.