Peanut Butter Toffee Brownies
Have you ever been in a bit of a funk? That was one of my mother’s terms for just feeling blah. I’ve been in one lately, mostly due to the worst cold I’ve had in ages. Instead of my usual routine of baking and working, I’ve been doing a lot of Netflix binging, reading, doodling, and not much else.
This week, though, this cold is finally on its last legs and I’ve kicked myself into gear. My planner is filled with fresh to-do lists, and (best of all!) I’m back in the kitchen. I have so many things I want to bake rattling around in my brain, but I wanted to start simply with a batch of brownies. Now, there’s something all but guaranteed to get anyone out of a funk!
These brownies may look unassuming, but they’re so flavorful and fudgy. I started with my favorite brownie recipe, and then added peanut butter and toffee bits for a little flavor fun.
Chocolate and peanut butter are always a favorite flavor pair, and that’s especially true with these brownies. Adding peanut butter to brownie batter may not really change the appearance of the brownies, but you’ll definitely notice the difference when you take a bite.
I couldn’t resist adding in a good helping of toffee bits. They’re one of my favorite baking add-ins because of their crunch and flavor. And if you like even more crunch, use crunchy peanut butter or stir in some chopped nuts along with the toffee bits.
Whether you’re in a funk or not, these brownies are sure to make your day a little bit better!
Peanut Butter Toffee Brownies
Yield: 16 2-inch brownies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Peanut Butter Toffee Brownies are a fudgy, flavorful twist on classic brownies.
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter*
- 1 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave at half power in 30-second increments until the butter has melted and the chocolate melts when stirred. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed**, beat the sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt until thoroughly combined. Add the cooled chocolate mixture, and mix well.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour, and mix just until combined.
- Place the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 20 to 30 seconds, or until thinner and pourable. Add to the brownie mixture, and stir to combine. Stir in the toffee bits.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.
*Substitute crunchy peanut butter for a little more crunch in your brownies.
**If you prefer, leave the mixer unplugged and mix these by hand.