Italian Cream Tart is an irresistible combination of coconut, pecans, and cream cheese. This is the kind of dessert that becomes an instant favorite!
Italian Cream Tart
I recently discovered that I am unable to sleep on an overnight flight. I made this discovery on a 6-ish hour flight. Ugh. Trying to keep yourself entertained while everyone around you sleeps can be a bit of a challenge. My iPad was a lifesaver, though, with TV shows, books, mindless games, and magazines.
During my magazine browsing stage, I happened upon a recipe for Italian Cream Tart. I am a huge fan of Italian Cream desserts. It is strongly my opinion that anything with coconut, pecans, and cream cheese has to be good.
The crust is a standard cookie crust, but it is even better than normal because it’s made with one of my favorite store-bought cookies, Pecan Sandies. Those nutty shortbread lend themselves perfectly to a cookie crust. The nutty flavor is exactly the perfect complement to the rest of this tart.
Tips for Success
- Measure accurately. Use a kitchen scale to measure by weight if possible.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature. That will allow it to mix more smoothly.
- Be sure to use cream of coconut. There are several coconut products with similar names. Cream of coconut is a sweetened and thick, with a similar consistency to sweetened condensed milk.
- Toast the coconut. Spread the coconut in a single layer on a lined, rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes, or until toasted. See How to Toast Coconut for more details.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Tightly covered, this tart should keep for several days in the refrigerator.
The filling incorporates the other two major components of Italian Cream desserts (coconut and cream cheese) along with some mascarpone and sour cream to create amazing flavor and texture. It’s nicely sweet with a good tangy kick to make it pretty much irresistible.
Really, I know that I can’t adequately describe this Italian Cream Tart in a way that does it justice. It is just so amazingly good, from its flavor to its texture. I wouldn’t want to set the precedent of sleepless nights to find fabulous recipes, but it was totally worth it for this one.