My favorite kinds of cakes to make are the low-fuss variety. I don’t always need lots of layers and thick frosting. A good, simple cake is more than fine with me.
This cake is a perfect example of a delicious cake without all the fuss. It’s simple to make and full of amazing flavor!
The cake itself is a simple one made with a good dose of peanut butter. I used crunchy peanut butter to get those crunchy bites of peanuts in the cake. Creamy peanut butter will work just fine, too.
That’s topped off with a cream cheese frosting partially sweetened with maple syrup. The combination of peanut butter and maple is a recent favorite of mine. I just love what those flavors do for each other!
This is the kind of cake that you can serve straight from the pan. Just cut a slice whenever you get a craving. It works well for an afternoon snack or for a simple dessert.
For more simple dessert ideas, see my collection of favorite Quick and Easy Desserts!
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in peanut butter and vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 portions, alternating with 2 portions of sour cream. Mix just until combined.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, cream cheese, and maple syrup until thoroughly combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.