Double Chocolate Brownies
It’s not often that I make brownies with no additions. No nuts, peanut butter, coconut… you get the picture. However, plain brownies are Quinn’s favorite. I hesitate to call these “plain.” They are far too good for such a description.
This recipe comes from Martha Stewart’s Cookies, a recent addition to my cookbook library. It’s from the editors of Martha Stewart Living, and includes some of their best cookie recipes. They claim these brownies to be one of their most popular recipes. After trying them, I can understand why that is.
These brownies are packed with two kinds of chocolate – semisweet chocolate and cocoa powder. When something is all about chocolate, I like to break out the good stuff. For the semisweet chocolate, I used Guittard’s semisweet chocolate wafers. The Dutch-process cocoa I used is from Schokinag. I ordered a huge container of that cocoa from King Arthur Flour’s store, but apparently they no longer stock it. So, if anyone can recommend a good alternative, I’d be forever thankful.
So, back to the brownies. They have a light texture as opposed to the dense and compact variety. With all that chocolate, they are quite rich, although we didn’t find them overwhelming. It’s definitely one for all of you chocolate addicts to try.
Double Chocolate Brownies
Yield: 9 large or 16 small brownies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8″square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches hanging over the sides. Butter parchment paper.
- In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet. Let cool in pan about 15 minutes.
- Lift brownies out of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookies.