Get ready to fall in love with these Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats – a simple, yet stunning blend of nostalgic comfort and fruity fun!
These strawberry rice crispy treats are perfect for those who adore the nostalgic charm of rice crispy treats but crave a fresh and fruity flair. Easy to make and even easier to love, these treats are ideal for busy bakers, families, and anyone looking to add a little extra joy to their day.
Why You’ll Love These Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats
- Unique flavor twist. The addition of ground freeze-dried strawberries infuses a delightful and unique berry flavor that sets these treats apart from the classic version.
- Simple and easy. With just a few basic ingredients and no baking required, these treats are incredibly easy to make, perfect for busy bakers and those new to the kitchen.
- Ideal for any occasion. Whether it’s a casual snack, a school event, or a festive party, these Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats are always a hit. I love them for Valentine’s Day and Easter, but they’re welcome any time of year!
- Crowd-pleaser. Loved by both kids and adults alike, these treats are sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any gathering.
What You’ll Need
See the recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions. Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make your strawberry rice crispy treats.
- Butter – I recommend unsalted butter, but you can use salted if you want a salty bite to these treats.
- Marshmallows – I usually opt for mini marshmallows because they melt just a bit more quickly. I give a range for the amount in the recipe, mostly because different brands have different sizes. However, I almost always go with the higher end of that range for wonderfully gooey treats.
- Freeze-dried strawberries – Grind these finely in a food processor. Freeze-dried fruits are often found in the snack aisle, but you may want to check for them near the cereals, alongside fresh fruits, or with the baking ingredients.
- Crisp rice cereal – The most common brand is Rice Krispies, but another brand should work just fine.
- Optional garnish – If you like, top these treats with more freeze-dried strawberries or colorful sprinkles.
How to Make Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats
With just a few minutes of effort, you’ll have these sweet treats ready and cooling. The hardest part is waiting for them to set so you can cut into them!
- Prepare the pan. Lightly butter a 9″ x 13″ x 2″ baking pan. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and marshmallows. Place the butter in a large pan, and melt over low heat. Add the marshmallows, and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the strawberries. Stir in the ground strawberries until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cereal. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the cereal until it’s well-coated.
- Transfer to the pan. Press the cereal mixture into an even layer in the buttered pan. The mixture will be sticky, so use a greased or buttered spatula or a sheet of waxed paper to make it easier. If you want to add any garnishes, do that now and gently press them down to help them adhere.
- Cool and set. Allow to cool at room temperature until set. This will usually take about an hour.
- Cut into bars. After the bars have set, cut them into squares and serve.
Tips for Success
Before you dive into making these delightful strawberry rice crispy treats, take a moment to check out these handy tips. They’re designed to ensure your treats turn out perfectly every time, adding a little extra ‘know-how’ to your baking adventure!
- Get the texture just right. If your treats are coming out too hard, reduce the amount of cereal slightly. For softer treats, add another handful of marshmallows. (I almost always add more marshmallows!)
- Be gentle. For the right consistency, don’t press the mixture into the pan too hard. Pressing too firmly can make the treats dense and hard.
- Work quickly. The treats will start setting pretty quickly, so be sure you have the pan ready and get them spread into the pan as soon as they’re mixed.
- Sticky business. That gooeyness we love also makes rice crispy treats a bit tricky to spread. Spray your spatula with nonstick spray or butter it to help keep it from sticking. You can also place a sheet of waxed paper on top of the mixture while you spread it in the pan.
Ready to add your own creative spin to these strawberry rice crispy treats? Explore these delightful variations to customize and jazz up your treats to suit any occasion or taste preference.
- Fruity twists. Try different freeze-dried fruits for a different flavor profile. Or combine two or three favorites for a mixed berry flavor.
- Chocolate drizzle. Melt dark, milk, or white chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the treats once they’re set. Chocolate and strawberry is a classic combination that’s always a hit.
- Lemon zest. Add the zest of one lemon to the marshmallow mixture for a bright, citrusy flavor that pairs wonderfully with the strawberries.
- Vanilla. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the marshmallow mixture for a subtle, rich flavor.
- Fun shapes. Cut the treats with cookie cutters to make them more festive for holidays and special occasions.
How to Store
After your strawberry rice crispy treats have set, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They should last well for up to 5 days. Avoid storing them in the refrigerator, as this can cause them to become too hard and lose their delightful texture. If you’re in a particularly humid or hot environment, you might consider keeping them in a cooler area to prevent them from getting too sticky.
Can Rice Crispy Treats Be Frozen?
While freezing isn’t typically recommended for rice crispy treats because it can alter their texture, it’s possible to do so if needed. To freeze, wrap each treat individually in plastic wrap and then place them in a zip-top freezer bag or an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to 6 weeks. To thaw, just leave them at room temperature for an hour or so until they become soft again. However, keep in mind that the texture might be slightly different from fresh treats.