Cracked Pepper Sour Cream Rolls
If you love yeast breads but still want something simple to make, this is the recipe for you. These fantastic rolls are wonderfully quick and easy to make. The batter mixes in mere minutes. Then, there’s just a bit of rising time before a quick baking stint.
After that, you’ll have a batch of perfectly soft, delicious, warm yeast rolls that you and your dinner companions will happily devour.
If the quick mixing hasn’t sold you yet, how about the fact that there’s no shaping? That’s right. These muffins are baked in a muffin pan, so you can simply portion the batter in the muffin cups. I like to use a cookie scoop to make even quicker work of it.
Freshly ground black pepper is the only seasoning in these rolls. I find that the pepper alone is so good and complements so many meals. You can adjust the pepper to your tastes. We like a lot, so I’m more likely to add quite a bit. To be perfectly honest, I don’t really measure the pepper. Instead, I just add it straight from my pepper mill into the dry ingredients and estimate how much I’m adding. But I’ve been more specific in the recipe for those of you who would prefer to measure.
The amount of instant yeast you’ll need for a batch of these rolls is the equivalent of one envelope. I bake frequently enough with yeast that I buy larger packages of it instead of the envelopes. Stored in the refrigerator or freezer, it will keep for quite a while. If you don’t use yeast that often, I’d recommend the envelopes.
Quinn’s first remark when he tried one of these rolls for the first time was that they tasted so buttery. But there isn’t much butter in these. Just 2 tablespoons of butter in the entire recipe! That sour cream really does something magical to these rolls, adding a slight tang to the flavor. They’re definitely a favorite around here, and I think you’ll love them, too.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of the links, I’ll receive a
small commission at no additional cost to you.
Cracked Pepper Sour Cream Rolls
Yield: 12 rolls
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Get everything you love about homemade yeast rolls in a quick and easy package with these Cracked Pepper Sour Cream Rolls.
- 2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 & 1/4 teaspoons (0.25 ounces, or 1 packet) instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Grease 12 standard-size muffin cups.
- Combine 1 cup of the flour with the sugar, yeast, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the sour cream, water, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until very warm (120° to 130°F).
- Add the warm sour cream mixture to the flour mixture. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and the remaining flour. Mix until combined. The batter will be soft.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, using about 2 tablespoons of batter per cup. (A scoop makes quick and easy work of portioning.)
- Cover the pan and allow the rolls to rise for about an hour until they are doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe slightly adapted from Fleischmann’s.