Apple Pecan Cream Cheese Tart
It’s not fall without apple pie, right? While I adore the traditional, it’s nice to mix things up a little bit, too. This beautiful dessert does just that with the addition of a cream cheese filling and some toasty pecans.
This tart is a little bit pie and a little bit cheesecake. It’s all about balance. The cream cheese filling complements the apples just as much as the apples complement the filling. And the whole thing isn’t too heavy, either. It’s really just a lovely dessert.
And it’s quicker and easier to make than either a pie or a cheesecake. That makes it even better, right?
For longtime BoB followers, this recipe may seem somewhat familiar. It’s actually quite similar to Almond Pear Cream Cheese Tart from waaaay back in the archives. I’ve always loved that recipe, and I felt like I was long overdue in making a variation of it. I tinkered with it just a bit, with apples and pecans standing in for the pears and almonds.
I also opted for a graham cracker crust this time around, but the shortbread crust in the original recipe is also really good. You can also stick with a cookie crust but substitute another cookie like vanilla wafers or gingersnaps.
It’s all about preference when deciding whether or not to peel the apples for your tart. Personally, I rarely peel them when I’m baking. Especially with this tart, the unpeeled apples can add a pretty pop of color.
Try this tart if you’re looking for something a bit different in the apple pie category. It’s so delicious and pretty that it’s definitely worthy of a special occasion!
Apple Pecan Cream Cheese Tart
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:35 minutes
Apple Pecan Cream Cheese Tart is a delicious combination of apple pie and cheesecake. Such a lovely dessert!
For the crust:
- 7 ounces graham cracker crumbs (about 1 & 3/4 cups)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 3 medium apples, sliced*
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and brown sugar until thoroughly combined. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or a 9-inch pie pan.
- Refrigerate the crust while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and brown sugar until thoroughly combined and smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Spread the filling evenly in the chilled crust.
To make the topping:
- Place the sliced apples in a bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon, and stir to coat.
- Arrange the apple slices as desired on top of the cream cheese filling.**
- Sprinkle the pecans on top of the apples.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 375°F. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until set.
- Cool the tart to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 3 hours before serving.
*Choose apples that are good for baking. You’ll want apples that will hold up to baking and not fall apart. I mostly use Fuji and Gala, but there are many varieties that will work.
**I simply made rings of overlapping apple slices and then repeated the layers with the remaining apples.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of the links, I’ll receive a
small commission at no additional cost to you.