Cinnamon Crumb Brownies
I recently treated myself to a bakery stop in the city. It’s not often I get to eat a baked good that I didn’t bake, so I try to relish it as much as possible. As I was leaving, I thought I would be a good wife and get a little something for Quinn, too. I chose a crumb-topped brownie, thinking that it would be a bit different yet completely along the lines of his tastes.
I was right, and he enjoyed it immensely. He even let me have a bite, and I was instantly smitten with the flavors and textures. I’m a big fan of what a little bit of cinnamon can do to chocolate. And who doesn’t like a crumb topping? I couldn’t wait to get into the kitchen and make my own version!
I started with my go-to brownie recipe. I love the flavor and texture of those brownies, and they’re a great starting point for so many brownie variations.
I opted not to add anything extra to the brownies. If you like, stir in about a cup of your favorite chopped nuts or even some chocolate chips.
The topping is a simple crumb mixture made with plenty of brown sugar and a nice dose of cinnamon. Again, you can add some finely chopped nuts if you’re craving a little bit of nutty crunch. Two or three tablespoons should be plenty for this amount of crumb.
As I expected, Quinn and I both loved these brownies. The combination of flavors is just perfect. If you’re looking for a simple twist on classic brownies, give this sweet, cinnamon-y variation a try.
Cinnamon Crumb Brownies
Yield: 16 2-inch brownies
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
Add big flavor to fudgy brownies with a simple cinnamon crumb topping.
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
For the brownies:
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To make the crumb topping:
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Add the butter, and mix with a fork or your fingers until the mixture forms crumbs.
- Refrigerate while you make the brownies.
To make the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave at half power in 30-second increments until the butter is melted and the chocolate melts when stirred. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well-blended. Add the chocolate-butter mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt, and mix just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the brownie batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Run a knife along the sides of the pan. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars.