Brown Butter Maple Oatmeal Cookies
As you could probably tell from my recent not-so-short list of favorite holiday cookies, I am just a wee bit excited about cookie baking season! I bake plenty of cookies year-round, but this time of year I tend to go a little cookie crazy. More cookies are generally not an issue for most people, so I soldier on with my baking mode in overdrive.
I particularly love oatmeal cookies. Their chewiness and flavor are irresistible for me. I decided to take that classic favorite and add in a couple of my current obsessions – maple syrup and brown butter. The resulting flavor is sweet, rich, nutty, and delicious!
If a cookie can be considered hearty, this is it. I opted to make these cookies a bit on the large side. This is a lot of cookie. One of these big, thick cookies is all the dessert you need. But you might want to grab two, you know, just in case.
Scroll past the recipe for details about how you can win a cookie baking gift set from The Pampered Chef.
Brown Butter Maple Oatmeal Cookies
Yield: about 18 cookies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt*
- 2 & 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup**
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Place butter in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once butter melts and begins to foam, continue to cook until brown specks start to form on the bottom of the pan. Butter will have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oats. Set aside.
- Add brown sugar to cooled butter. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until thoroughly mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Stir in pecans.
- Drop dough by 3-tablespoon portions onto prepared pans, leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Flatten each cookie slightly. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown.
- Cool cookies on pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
*These cookies are an excellent candidate for a sweet and salty treat. Just increase the salt to 1 teaspoon for a little added saltiness.
**I used Grade A Medium Amber, which is now called Amber Color Rich Taste.
To help kick off holiday cookie season, I’m so thrilled to partner with The Pampered Chef to give one of you a great set of tools for baking your holiday sweets. I picked out each of these items with cookie baking in mind!
All of the items are pictured above. Here’s what the winner will receive:
- Cookie Sheet
- Reversible Silicone Baking Mat
- Large Scoop
- Let it Snow – White Snowflakes Scraper
- Easy Read Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon Set
- Digital Kitchen Scale
See the widget below for entry details and requirements. Please note that the winner must be a U.S. resident 18 years or older. If you are unable to see the widget, make sure your browser is updated or try viewing this page in another browser.
Be sure to add bakeorbreak at gmail dot com to your contacts so that a winning email from me doesn’t end up in your spam folder. If a winner doesn’t respond to my email within 48 hours, another winner will be chosen.
Disclosure: This post and giveaway are sponsored by The Pampered Chef. All opinions written are my own.