Oatmeal Brownie Bars
The premise is simple enough. Mix up a buttery oat bar, layer it with brownie batter, and then add a bit more of the oat bar on top. You get the best of both worlds, the chewy, crunchy oat bar along with the rich, chocolate-y brownie. This is a win-win, people!
The recipe itself holds no surprises. If you can make brownies and oat bars, then it will all seem quite familiar to you. This is a great case of the sum being greater than its parts. While I love oat bars and brownies, somehow this combination is magical.
These are sure to be a great crowd-pleaser. Perfect for all those upcoming outdoor gatherings!
Oatmeal Brownie Bars
Yield: 24 2-inch bars
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Oatmeal Brownie Bars are a delicious mashup of oat bars and brownies!
For the oat layer:
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt*
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
For the brownie layer:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the oat layer:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x 13″ baking pan.
- Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and cut into the mixture with a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 & 1/4 cups of the oat mixture.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack while you prepare the brownie layer.
To make the brownie layer:
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at half power in microwave in 30-second increments until the butter melts and the chocolate melts when stirred. Sitr until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the sugar, eggs, water, and vanilla until thoroughly mixed. Add the chocolate/butter mixture, and continue beating until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly over partially baked oat layer.
- Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top of the brownie layer.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are set. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
*If you’re a sweet and salty fan, I highly recommend adding more salt to the oat layer. Try 1/2 teaspoon of salt to give these a lovely salty bite.
Recipe slightly adapted from Land O’Lakes.