At least once a year, I can count on Quinn taking over the baking in the BoB kitchen. That occasion is my birthday. This year, there was much deliberation on what would be my birthday cake. The final decision was pieced together from a few different recipes and Quinn’s insistence that there be frosting involved.
As I didn’t assist in the baking process, I will keep this brief. Quinn says that it was a relatively simple endeavor, although the two different frostings were a bit daunting for him. He chose to make three square cake layers, using 9-inch square baking pans. For that reason, the original recipe from Buttercup Bakes at Home was adjusted to accommodate, thus explaining the odd amounts of some of the ingredients.
Now, about this cake. Honestly, this was perhaps the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had. It is dense and moist and just plain wonderful. I am on record as saying that I don’t like plain chocolate cake much. This is anything but plain. I think it is definitely my new go-to chocolate cake.
On top of (and in between) the cake, there are not one but two frostings. The layers have cream cheese frosting with a touch of Frangelico. We agreed that the flavor of the liqueur didn’t come through very strongly, but it was still delicious. The top and sides are covered with a chocolate cream cheese frosting that I could have eaten all by itself.
This is definitely a special occasion cake. No one could eat this frequently and survive it. It did, however, make a perfect, decadent treat for my day. Thanks, Quinn!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Chocolate Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frostings is sure to impress, in both flavor and appearance. This tall, beautiful cake is rich, moist, and delicious!
For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 9 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 & 1/8 cups buttermilk
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/8 cup sour cream
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 & 3/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico
For the chocolate cream cheese frosting:
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For garnish (optional)
- chocolate shavings or curls
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour three 9-inch square baking pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add the chocolate, and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in the sour cream.
- Divide the batter equally and pour into prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Then, remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- Mix the butter and cream cheese with a wooden spoon until blended. Add 2 cups of sugar, half of the heavy cream, and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining sugar, cream, vanilla, and Frangelico. Mix until smooth, but do not overmix. If the frosting is too thick, add a few drops of heavy cream.
- Spread the frosting between the cooled cake layers. If necessary, place the frosting in the refrigerator before spreading onto the cake layers.
To make the chocolate cream cheese frosting:
- Mix the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder. Add the sugar in three portions, alternating with the sour cream. Beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spread the frosting on the top and sides of cake. If necessary, place the frosting in the refrigerator before spreading on the cake.
- Place the frosted cake in the refrigerator to allow it to set.