Quinn has been after me for ages to bake more with chocolate and coffee. The problem, you see, is that I don’t like coffee. Love to smell it, don’t love to drink it. Does anyone else have this problem?
It’s no secret that chocolate and coffee are a brilliant pairing. They just seem to enhance each other naturally. Even I have a hard time arguing with that.
I picked up a fresh shot of espresso at our neighborhood coffee shop, which is just a short walk from home for us. If you have access to good espresso, I highly recommend it for these muffins. In a pinch, try using another strong-brewed coffee.
It may seem a bit odd to have a recipe that makes 8 muffins. But, I worked with the practicality of using one shot of espresso. You can get a dozen by increasing all the ingredients by half. If you’re an espresso drinker, then you just get a bonus half shot to enjoy.
Yield: 8 muffins
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Plenty of chocolate and a shot of espresso make these Mocha Muffins a great pick-me-up treat!
- 1& 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3-4 tablespoons espresso (1 shot)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, butter, espresso, vanilla, and egg until thoroughly combined. Add the flour mixture in 3 or 4 portions, mixing just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan, using about 1/4 cup batter per muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with clean. Keep in mind that you may get chocolate on the pick from the chips.
- Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes.