Brownies are one of my favorite things to bake. Honestly, I like eating them just as much, too. They’re simple to make and they’re packed with chocolate. What more could you want?
It’s easy to dress up a brownie by making it into a tart. While it is still a brownie, somehow it’s just a little fancier. This goes a step further in the dressing up department by adding one of my favorite chocolate companions – hazelnuts.
We start with a vanilla wafer crust and mix in some toasted hazelnuts. Seriously, I could be perfectly happy just eating the crust. But, we keep going and top that off with a hazelnut and chocolate brownie filling, all baked into a tart pan. It’s rich and dense and fudgy and decadent and still amazingly simple. If you can muster up the will-power, this is even better a day after it’s baked.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 & 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafer cookies (about 36 cookies)
- 1/2 cups finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- pinch salt
For the brownie:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch tart pan. Place tart pan on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients until moistened. Press evenly on bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool in pan on wire rack.
To make the brownie:
- Place butter and chocolate in microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave in 30 second increments until butter is melted and chocolate melts when stirred. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add butter/chocolate mixture, mixing until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until almost fully combined. Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter onto partially baked crust. Set tart pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool before serving.
If you don’t have a tart pan, a springform pan works well.