Cream Cheese Peanut Butter Cookies
Cream Cheese Peanut Butter Cookies have a lovely peanut butter flavor made even better with the addition of cream cheese. Such a wonderful variation of classic peanut butter cookies!
These may look like pretty standard peanut butter cookies, but one bite will tell you that’s not the case. There’s just a little extra something. Something a little richer. Something more flavorful. Yep, it’s cream cheese!
I tweaked my basic peanut butter cookie recipe, decreasing the butter and adding some cream cheese. I had done a similar thing with chocolate chip cookies a while back, so I was excited to try a similar twist with peanut butter cookies.
And I’m happy to tell you that it was a more than worthwhile experiment. The result is a soft, chewy, irresistible cookie with just a bit bigger, more interesting flavor than the original. If you’re looking for something a little different in the peanut butter cookie category, then give these a try.
I can’t resist adding the traditional crosshatch effect to the tops of the cookies. I see that pattern, and I instantly want one of these! Of course, you can certainly make them without that if you prefer. If you do choose to add the crosshatch effect, try dipping the fork in a little bit of flour to keep it from sticking to the cookie dough.
Either creamy or crunchy peanut butter will work for these cookies. Just use whatever you prefer. I often like to bake with the crunchy variety for the extra, well, crunch it adds.
I really love this twist on a classic cookie. It’s not the kind of change that will hit you over the head. Rather, it’s more likely to garner questions like “What’s different about these?” from cookie eaters. Whether or not someone trying one of these cookies can guess the cream cheese addition, they’ll be smitten with the wonderful flavor and the soft, chewy texture.
More Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Toffee Oatmeal Cookies
- Peanut Butter Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies
- Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
Bake or Break is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Cream Cheese Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: about 40 cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes per pan
- 1 & 1/4 cups (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces (113g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (255g) creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- sanding sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix well. Mix in the peanut butter.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared pans. Use a fork to make a crosshatch pattern on top of the cookies.* If desired, sprinkle the top of each cookie with a pinch of sanding sugar.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.