I woke up earlier than usual this morning and decided to take advantage of the extra time by whipping up something for breakfast. I am terrible at keeping track of recipes I want to try out of cookbooks. I am, however, pretty dang organized with online recipes I want to try. Looking through those, I found this recipe from Epicurious that I’ve had bookmarked for months. As I read through the ingredients to make sure that I had everything I needed, I saw something in the list that answered a question that’s been lingering in the back of my mind. This recipe is the reason I have peach preserves in my pantry! I really must get more organized.
Anyway, I took it as a sign that I should make these muffins. Most anyone who knows me is well aware of my pecan adoration. When I told Quinn that I was making pecan muffins, he (with a mostly straight face) said, “Why would you make those?” He thinks he’s so funny when he taunts me.
These muffins tuned out beautifully. One minor adjustment to the recipe. I decreased the oven temperature to 375 degrees and baked them about 15 minutes. That worked perfectly for me and my oven. The texture of these is just what muffins should be. Not packy, but not really light either. The peach flavor is very subtle. It definitely sweetens them up, but I don’t think you’d bite into one and immediately think of peaches. Quick to mix up, and lovely to eat and look at, these muffins are a great morning treat.
Yield: 10 standard-sized muffins
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 10 standard-sized muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, preserves, egg, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Stir flour mixture into sour cream mixture, mixing just until combined. Stir in pecans.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.